West Central School and Transition Services (WCSTS) offers opportunities for older students with developmental disabilities to use their final year(s) of school to plan for and implement their choices for adult life:
• As a department of the Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities (FCBDD), we have access to experts in other FCBDD departments (such as Service Coordination and Medicaid Provider Services) who are available to support planning and programming for each student and their family;
• We have close working relationships with other organizations in Franklin County, as well as state organizations such as Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities, Ohio Department of Medicaid, and the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities;
• The school facility has been designed for specialized instruction, including accessible entrances into and within the facility. There are specialized instructional services available in art, physical education, aquatics therapy, and positive behavior support systems;
• We have specialized services for Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, and nursing staff to support medical needs;
• Our Aquatics Center has a warm water pool for therapeutic and recreational benefits and lifts for non-ambulatory access to the water;
• The facility features a contained “Outdoor Learning Environment” featuring accessible exercise and play equipment as well as gardening areas in a central courtyard;
• FCBDD provides wheelchair lift-equipped buses for transportation to and from school, as well as vans designed to enable small groups to travel throughout the community with maximum flexibility during the school day.